Thursday, January 17, 2013

And now for something completely different

Well, maybe not completely different, but this is not a post about fashion. This post is fashion-adjacent.

I guess this might fall under our "Lifestyle" umbrella.

I've found that I've accumulated a fair amount of stuff over the years, related to my affinity for things that make me feel better about how I look. Jewelry, make-up, accessories, nail polish... all this stuff adds up, and you need a place for it. I always enjoy seeing how other people organise their stuff, so today, I share with you how I have organised mine.

On the slim chance that there are some negative people out there who might read this (negative people on the internet? Why I never...) I will begin with a small disclaimer: this collection of things is over a decade old (with recent additions, of course) and all (and I do mean all) of the jewelry is costume. If you think I sound guilty, its because I am. Sometimes a little voice pops up in my head and says "why do you need stuff to be happy?" and then I tell that little voice to shut the &*$# up.

So, on to the fun bit!
This is my newly finished Vanity Corner. It're recently revamped, and I am pretty pleased with it. It all started with that drawers/mirror combination from IKEA. On top are little drawers (from Walmart) that I placed on either side of the mirror. Those house most of my cosmetics. Inside the top drawer of the chest of drawers is my hair products, hair accessories, brushes, perfumes (I like to keep perfume out of the light so they don't go funky as fast), etc. Other drawers have stuff like sheets. I live in an old house with no linen closets. I know, how do I carry on... Oh, and ignore that bit of dust on the floor on the right side... I haven't swept up since installing the shelves.

On the top of that vanity, I have some apothecary jars that hold q-tips, cotton balls, random stuff and flower clips that I actually hardly ever use. My small palettes are in letter sorters. 
My eye and lip liners and stick eyeshadows are in that cup holder that I stuck to the wall. Which doubles as a place to put my fascinators. Which I also, almost never wear. In fact, to be perfectly honest, I wore the black one (which I made myself, by the by) only once, to a wedding. The blue one I haven't worn yet. I think it might be too cutesy for my age. *sigh*
My bracelets are hung on a fingertip towel rack.
I like to see my stuff, so that its easier to know exactly what I have when I am putting an outfit together. 
That's why I have my jewelry out instead of in a jewelry box. 
Ooh, one thing that I do feel rather clever about is my ring holder. It began its life as a Melissa &
Doug toy for my oldest son. It had shapes that were supposed to be sorted onto the dowels. Those are looooong gone, so I appropriated it for my rings. Spray painted it black, and voila!


And this is how I store my earrings, necklaces and nail polish. The holder for the hook earrings was a mirror that broke, and so the glass got tossed. Spray painted it black, stretched some regular screening (like for a screen door) on it, and stuck it up on the wall with those Command picture hangers. Don't even get me started on those. I LOVE the Command hooks! Once that was done though, I realised that I couldn't hang the post earrings on there, so I found another picture frame at a garage sale ($1). I found really cheap cork tiles at Dollarama, and glued them to the backing of the frame (the cardboard part that usually has the easel bit cut out of it) and then fitted into the frame (minus the glass) and spray painted it all. Now, its easy to grab my earrings or put them back at the end of the day.
The necklaces are on your basic towel rod (also from IKEA).

The nail polish storage is what took me the longest to figure out. Where does one find really shallow shelves? I was on the hunt for a spice rack, but couldn't find one. There are fantastic nail polish racks that you can buy from ebay, or other retailers, but once you factor in the price of shipping, it just wasn't worth it for me. 
And then, one day, I was in, you guess it...IKEA. They have these shelves that are made just for resting  frames on, so they are pretty narrow. They are just deep enough for 2 bottles of polish. The only thing that I am disappointed about with this, is that all three shelves are already filled. I guess I'll have to take a break from buying nail polish...


Well, I hope that you enjoyed this post. Like I said, I always like to see how others organise their stuff, and pull ideas and inspiration from that.

Next week, I'll show you how I organise my closet!

No, I'm just kidding. That will never happen. No one needs to know how messy that can look.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover